Sunday, September 8, 2013

The Best Medicine

"In riding a horse we borrow freedom."

~Helen Thompson

I found this to be literally true today. I am currently suffering from what seems to be a small sinus infection but ponies still need to be worked, fed and turned out. I took Tristan for a warm up walk on the trails before hitting the arena for a dressage schooling. My lovely pony and I had a lengthy argument last night over whether it was possible to do canter transitions directly after a leg yield and I was concerned today would be more of the same. However, either Tristan was still tired from fighting with me the previous evening or had picked up on my lack of energy, but he was a perfect gentleman for the whole workout!

Beyond Tristan going easy on me, I always find as long as I'm not too sick to get in the saddle, I will find my symptoms miraculously alleviated! I love that riding my horse will generate better results than all the drugs in the world. It's also amazing to think of how Tristan seems to take care of me when I'm not feeling well. Even as I cooled him out on a short trail ride, we encountered a herd of deer. Instead of spooking as he normally would, all he did today was watch them bound off into the trees.

I love riding, and I definitely love my horse.

No comments:

Post a Comment